Last night, my mom and I put together the slow-cooker breakfast casserole. It was filled with cheese, hash browns, and Christmas goodness. My mom is a bit more of a recipe follower than I am, but I have some ideas for how to spice this thing up a bit. It was good, but it needed a little something extra. I hope to make a healthier version soon! Here is what we used:
- 1 lb. of ground sausage
- 16 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 26-ish oz. bag of hash browns
- 1 cup milk
- 12 eggs (If I did this again, I would use half egg whites and half whole eggs.)
- 2 tablespoon ground mustard
Here are the things I suggest adding:
- 1 medium onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 salsa
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups spinach
Literally dump everything in a crock pot and cook for 7 hours on low.
It was a very filling brunch. Definitely a Christmas treat!